Let me start by reminding you that Daylight Savings Time begins on Sunday, March 11th at 2 a.m. While you are changing your clocks one hour ahead, be sure to change the battery in your smoke detectors too! Also check the date on the smoke detector to see if it has expired. Most smoke detectors and CO detectors are good for 10 years. Edgewood Fire/EMS would like to introduce to you a new smoke detector program. In cooperation with the American Red Cross, we’ve been given smoke detectors to distribute within our community and these detectors have batteries that are expected to last 10 years. This is how it works: Contact us at email@example.com to make a request to include how many you will need (you can call if email is not available at 341-2628). We will then reply with available dates and times where we can come to your home and install the new smoke detectors. We will need approximately 30 minutes to install, review educational materials, and one page of paperwork that we fill out for you. That’s it!
Furthermore as part of spring cleaning make sure to take a few minutes to clean up and brush off your safety plans as well:
• Make sure you have smoke alarms inside every bedroom, outside each sleeping area and on every level of the home, including the basement. If you have natural
gas in your home, be sure to have working CO detectors as well.
• Clean-up work areas. Put dangerous tools, adhesives, matches or other work items away and out of any child’s reach.
• Check fire protection and safety equipment to include fire extinguishers. Make sure all doors and windows open easily and are accessible for quick escapes.
• Make sure your street numbers are posted properly and are visible, preferably on your mailbox. If you were to call 911, you want us to respond as quickly as
possible. If we can’t see your address numbers on the mailbox or house, it could cause a delay.
• Practice your escape plan. Even the best plan is no good if it’s not practiced.
For more information regarding fire prevention please contact Fireman Mike at firstname.lastname@example.org.